To qualify, a SMART Controller must meet all six qualifications listed below:
- Connect to local weather station via Wi-Fi or have an onsite weather station.
- Program each zone according to correct plant type, soil type, sprinkler nozzle type, sun/shade conditions and slope conditions.
- Program only on watering days allowed per neighborhood schedule.
- Give suggested run times for each zone that is adjustable.
- Turn off the system in the event of a rain or freeze condition.
- Water using the cycle-soak method.